Baked Barley with Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons schmaltz, butter or oil
- 3 medium onion chopped
- 8 oz sliced white or crimini mushrooms (about 9 ounces)
- 8 oz of a variety of mushrooms, sliced or chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 1 package dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 C chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Reconstitute the dried porcini in 1 C of warm water. Save the water!
- Melt the schmaltz in a large saucepan and caramelize the onions.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 10 minutes or browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the barley and cook 2 minutes
- Stir in salt, pepper and the porcini mushrooms including the water.
- Pour the barley mixture into a large over-proof casserole dish.
- Bring stock to a boil in the saucepan and pour it over the barley mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 cup medium bulgur
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dates (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the bulgur, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes. If necessary, continue cooking uncovered until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Spoon into a 9-inch-square baking dish and refrigerate until chilled.
Baked Prehito: Before transferring to the baking dish, add 1 lightly beaten egg, and bake in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes.
Desser miveh (persian fruit salad)
- 2 Seedless oranges; -peeled and cored
- 2 Apples; peeled; cored
- 2 Bananas; sliced
- 2 c Pitted dates; chopped;
- 1 c Dried figs; chopped; -or apricot
- 1 c Orange juice
- 1 c Almonds; chopped
Place fruit in serving bowl. Pour orange juice over fruit and mix gently. Garnish with almonds or coconut. Cover and chill several hours before serving.