Rosh Hashana recipe
Apple Glazed BBQ Chicken
- 2 whole chickens
- 1 6-ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cloves crushed garlic
- dash hot pepper
- 2 green apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a large roasting pan with PAM and lay the two chickens breast-side up.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except the apples and onions.
- Brush half the sauce over the chicken. Tuck the onion and apple wedges around the chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn chicken over and brush remaining sauce on the chicken. Bake for an additional hour, or until golden brown and juices run clear.
Sweet Carrot Tzimmes
- 1 bag carrots
- 5-6 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Boil water in large pot.
- Wash and peel carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Place carrots and potatoes in boiling water. Cover pot. Let cook until tender but firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil shallow baking dish.
- Drain carrots and potatoes. Place in baking dish with prunes. Mix gently.
- Mix orange juice, honey, salt, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Pour over casserole.
- Dot top with margarine. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Stir gently and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of grated
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup warm strong black coffee
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almond
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Place the eggs, lemon juice, lemon rind, oil, honey and coffee in a bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix on low speed until well blended.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cream of tartar, sugar and cinnamon with a fork until mixed.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the eggs mixture, mixing for about 5 minutes or until well blended.
- Fold in the slivered almonds.
- Pour the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Roast Chicken with Dried Fruit and Almonds
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound pitted prunes, halved
- 12 ounces pitted dates, halved
- 10 ounces dried apricot halves (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (4- to 4 1/2-pound) chickens, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (or more) water
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
- Heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until deep golden brown, about 30 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer onions to large bowl; mix in prunes, dates, apricots, sugar, and cinnamon. Do ahead - can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread fruit mixture over bottom of large roasting pan. Tuck chicken wing tips under. Rub each chicken with 1/2 tablespoon remaining olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper; place chickens, side by side, atop fruit mixture. Pour 11/2 cups water around chickens. Roast chickens 1 hour. Turn pan around; add more water to fruit mixture by 1/4 cupfuls if beginning to dry. Continue to roast chickens until brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer chickens to carving board; let stand 10 minutes. Spoon fruit onto platter; top with chickens and any accumulated juices. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
Spicy Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummous
- garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cups water, from cooking garbanzo beans
- 1 1/2 cups lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 lb roasted red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
Honey Cake with Cardamom
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tbl. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
For the Syrup:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup hot water
For the Cream:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat three-quarter cup of honey and butter at medium speed two minutes.
- Slowly add sugar, and continue beating constantly.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until each is mixed in well (about 1 minute).
- Finally, add the dry ingredients a bit at a time, alternating with milk (end with dry ingredients).
- Spread evenly in 13x9 inch greased pan (nonstick spray works well) and bake 45 minutes at 325 degrees (F) (it's done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Let cool for ten minutes.
- Prepare the syrup by mixing the two ingredients.
- Poke holes in the cake (to the bottom) and gently brush the cake with syrup.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Prepare the cream by beating the whipping cream at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the orange blossom honey and beating until just blended.
14. Serve cake with cream and enjoy